2009-06-27

20090627: Continental Test Drives

Phew, my First Aid test finished earlier than I thought! That leaves my Saturday afternoon free for something pressing in my TO DO LIST!

AUDI 1.8 T (RM 250k) | UK: 24,200
Finally get to visit the Audi showroom in Glenmarie.
Was met by this 4-eyed salesgirl, who kinda made the entire Audi experience totally embarrassing to say the least. Virtually every answer to my question was "I don't know?" Did she just "graduate" from government departments?
And to make matters worse, her name card had "liquid paper" over another person's name! Sheesh, talk about LOW QUALITY!
Anyway the Audi A4 was under the spotlight here. Nothing much to shout about. Just a 1.8 litre car, OVER RM 200k! I think my brain is overheating and my IQ is faltering here! Yeah, so it's turbocharged. Big deal! Isn't the Lancer GT also FULLY IMPORTED and is cheaper too? And if you are thinking TRANSPORTER 3, forget it! Not an A8 in sight. Just a basic A6 in the front of the showroom, with a new TT in the rear. There wasn't even a Q5 for show! Unbelievable!

Pros: Rear arm rest with cup holders, radio indicator in dash LCD, stereo kit with bluetooth support (Exora also got!).
Cons: Rear seats cannot fold. No Ski hole. LCD has NO GPS function! You are paying about RM 100k in taxes! Yeah!

Only good news is that the 2.0 Turbo variant will be later this year!

ALFA ROMEO 159 2.2 litre "GUILIA" (RM 188k) | UK: 24,650
Popped over to another Sime Darby outlet, this time to the new Alfa showroom in Section 14.
Very good service here. Young chap knows his stuff. Twin injector pumps vs single pumps!
Tested the Alfa 159, which is FULLY imported (CBU) from Italy, and CHEAPER than a LOCALLY ASSEMBLED (CKD) BMW 3 series! Sorry, I almost failed my Economics, thus I really can't explain this phenomenon!

Pros: Sunroof! Yeah! Skihole in rear centre seat, folding wing mirrors, auto anti-glare, non eed for separate engine start/stop button. Just press the ignition key! Unlimited mileage warranty
Cons: First to 2nd gear shift a bit jerky. Have to get used to this! Only 2 year warranty. Low headroom for rear passengers. No centre LCD

The sales dude did mention that a forthcoming promotion is underway, with the inclusion of a Bluetooth enabled GPS with Wide screen LCD and a wireless reverse camera support

No comments: